Latest News

Hazardous waste collection event coming up April 14

• Bookmarks: 16396

Sheboygan County’s popular Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program has announced its 2018 dates according to Planning, Resources, Agriculture & Extension Committee Chairman Keith Abler.

There are some fees, but the majority of the program is funded with County tax dollars; be prepared to show proof of residency. When those funds are depleted, the sites will be closed until funds are again available.

County residents are encouraged to try and attend the Clean Sweep events as they are in part funded through a grant.

First Collection date:
April 14, 8:00-11:00 a.m.
Maywood Environmental Park, 3615 Mueller Road, Sheboygan.

2018 Clean Sweep*:

June 8, 1:00-4:30 p.m.
Sheboygan County Highway Southside Shed, 7614 Frontage Road, Sheboygan

June 9, 8:00-11:00 a.m.
Sheboygan County Highway Cascade Shed, W6451 State Highway 28, Cascade

Farms having agricultural hazardous waste should try to attend the June 8 or June 9 events and are asked to pre-
register their waste, one week prior to the collection date, with Mike Ballweg at the UW Extension Office, (920) 459-5904 if the quantity is greater than 250 pounds.

If you are a Very Small Quantity Generator Business please call the County Planning & Conservation Department at (920) 459-3060 for guidance.

If there is funding remaining after the earlier events, there will also be a collection on September 15. The location and time will be announced at a later date.


Due to an unexpected, very steep increase in the cost of accepting electronics at our events, fees have changed.

  • $10 – Vehicles with hazardous waste only.
  • $30 – Vehicles with household size (6 items or less) electronics only. If there are more than 6 electronics items, there will be additional fees.
  • $30 – Vehicles with both hazardous waste and household size electronics.

What kind of materials will be accepted at the events?

Flammable liquids
Fluorescent bulbs (household quantities)
Oil-based paints
Household batteries
Acids and bases
Old gasoline
Pesticides and herbicides
Reactives (typically pool chemicals)
Most Electronics

Electronics accepted:

Docking Stations
Fax Machines
Telecommunications Equipment
Audio Visual Equipment
Mainframe Equipment
Mid-Range Equipment
Networking Equipment
Circuit Boards
Electronic Cash Registers
Stereo Equipment
Uninterrupted Power Supplies
Video Boards

NOTE: We accept household quantities (6 items or less) of electronics. If more electronic items are being recycled, additional fees will apply.

Are there materials that WILL NOT be accepted?

YES! LATEX PAINT, waste oil, radioactive materials (smoke alarms), explosives, medical wastes, waste medications, pressurized cylinders, large appliances, and tires will not be accepted.

What can I do with the unacceptable materials?

  • Waste Oil is recycled at many sites in conjunction with community recycling programs. See the Sheboygan County Planning & Conservation website for more information at
  • Latex (Water Based) paint is not “hazardous.” It can be disposed of with regular garbage once dried. Simply remove the cover to let it dry up, or pour it out in a container and add kitty litter to help it dry.

Prescription medications:

County residents may at any time throughout the year drop off their waste pharmaceuticals for recycling in the lobbies of the Sheboygan Police Department, Kohler Police Department, Sheboygan Falls Police Department, the Plymouth Police Department, and the Elkhart Lake Police Department.

ALSO, during the June Clean Sweep Collection events, other accepted wastes that will be collected are:

  • Agricultural Hazardous Waste such as pesticides, other chemicals, and pesticide containers. For larger quantities

(greater than 250 pounds), please call Mike Ballweg, UW-Extension, at (920) 459-5904 in advance. There may be a cost for Agricultural business wastes.

  • Very Small Quantity Generator Business hazardous wastes from small businesses must call Veolia North America to pre-register their waste one week prior to the collection date. Contact Chris Bahlow at (715) 298-2623 for a registration form. There will be a cost for disposing of these items.

What can I do if I missed the HHW collection event? Residents should visit the Sheboygan County Planning & Conservation Department’s website at for a schedule of the upcoming household hazardous waste collection events or call (920) 459-3060 for additional information.

Never leave hazardous wastes at any location. Abandoning hazardous wastes, even from households, is a state and federal offense.

For information on types of materials accepted, maps identifying the locations of the sites, the associated fees, and other information, please visit and navigate to the Planning & Conservation Department website page.  Please keep in mind latex based paints are not accepted and that these events are only open to Sheboygan County residents.

For Additional Information Contact: Sheboygan County Planning & Conservation Department, (920) 459-3060.

16 recommended
bookmark icon

Write a comment...